Ohio Swimming

Ohio Swimming

Sunday, August 1, 2010

"Why Ohio University?" by Senior Amanda Traylor

Senior Amanda Traylor will be competing this week at the Sonoco National Swimming Championships in Irvine, California. After a very impressive junior year, Amanda is looking forward to her final season as a Bobcat. She finished 2nd in the 500 free and 200 free, 4th in the 1650 free, and was a member of the 800 free relay team that placed 2nd at the 2010 MAC Championships. Her performances earned her the honor of being named First Team All-MAC. Amanda is the current school record holder in the 200 free and 400 IM. The Los Alamitos, California native takes some time to reflect on her time as a Ohio Bobcat:

"Ohio University was recently named the top college for overall student satisfaction and happiness. After my short three years here in Athens, I can wholeheartedly support that statement. Coming from a sunshine state where most people dream of going, not leaving, I am often asked the question, 'Why Ohio?'

The first time I heard of Ohio University was via brochure. One of those general ones that come in masses your junior and senior years of high school. It was a pretty campus, but Ohio? When I began talking with the coaches on the phone, I began to see that the program was one I would fit in with well. I got along with Greg and Brian right off the bat. They have helped me with stroke technique, strength and endurance, and confidence among many other things. I can honestly say that I have done things here that I never thought possible and I am extremely grateful to have such a supportive coaching staff. The team doesn't just work hard, they like to have their fun as well. Everyone is very laid back and comfortable with each other. It is like having a second family.

The swim meets during my time here have been some of the best moments. MACs is by far the most exciting and spirited competition I have attended. Swimming may be viewed as an individual sport, but it is at this meet that you really see the importance of having a team cheering each other on every race, every dive. Ohio University is not well known for swimming and diving; however, the program is up-and-coming and I see the talent and hard work on a daily basis. OU, along with the MAC conference, is becoming a presence at bigger meets and I am proud to be a part of it.

Another attractive aspect of OU was its amazing exercise physiology program, which is the major I chose (pre-physical therapy). Through my courses, I have gained hands on experience in the classroom and in the community. My professors have been approachable and have helped me balance being a Division I athlete and a devoted student. Now that I am applying for graduate school, my advisor, and even some professors, are helping me with the difficult process.

As I am finishing out my times here as a Bobcat, I constantly wonder where the time went. It seems like just yesterday that I was walking onto campus as a nervous freshman. I have learned so much and have made so many memories that I wouldn't trade for the world. The recent ranking of Ohio University as the college with the most satisfied and happiest students has been long deserved. Ask any alumni you meet!

--Amanda Traylor